Fps drops on my new pc

• Hi!
    I wanted to get a cheap gaming pc and got these parts:

EVGA 500W Bronze Power Supply
    ASUS A68HM-PLUS, Socket-FM2+
    HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
    AMD Athlon X4 845 Excavator Prosessor
    XFX Radeon RX 460

I get like 70 fps most of the time on low graphics. But it drops like hell all random like from nowhere it drops to 20 fps an even lower. Makes the game unplayable.
    I read that the processor is not that good even if its good for the price.

So my question is, if I put in a GTX 1060 would it get me better performance? I just want the game to run smooth, maybe update to an intel processor later.

What do you guys think? would it work or should i just send everything back and start over?
  • Howdy!

We have been looking into FPS drops for Overwatch and will need the communitie's help in collecting more data. Please take a moment to help us track down more information on this issue so we can look into it deeper! :D

Babbrabush You have been commenting on this issue for a bit of time now. We would really like your information, everyone else as well!

The technology we will be using is called Event Tracing for Windows (ETW)

Step 1: Simply download this zip file and unzip to a folder. This Blog will provide more information about these tools are and what they do.

Setp 2) In the etwpackage/bin folder that came from the zip file, we need you to run “UIforETW.exe”. The first time you run the application, Windows might configure some additional performance tools. Feel free to close it and open it one more time. It’s important to make sure and check the “GPU tracing” option, as that isn’t on by default.

Step 3: Click on “Start Tracking”. The “Save Trace Buffers” button should become enabled if everything is working properly. At this point, you can start Overwatch.

Step 4: When you see the low FPS / stuttering issue has started, you can save a capture (Ctrl+Win+C). The trace files (*.etl) will show up in the lower left of the “UI for ETW” application.

Step 5: Now we simply just need you to upload the files. We recommend Dropbox but any online box that we can download the data from is fine. Feel free to add the link to your reply on the forums.
  • Hello babbrabush!

Thanks so much for your traces. I've taken a screen grab of a small cross section of your PC while running Overwatch - here is a link to it. I'll be referencing it while talking about a couple of things you can try to improve your experience. The top stacked graph is processes using your CPU, the middle line graph shows the CPU utilization of Overwatch, and the bottom graph shows the power state of your CPU cores.

The good news is that Overwatch isn't spiking up in CPU usage. This is consistent to what we've seen internally. Something that concerns me is the power state of your cores - take a look at what happens when the cores go into a lower power state. Overwatch CPU usage drops dramatically - I would expect you to see a stall in frame rate at those points. Given your trace has 6 cores, I would guess you have an AMD processor? If you have an Intel processor by chance, you could install the Intel CPU overclocking tools to diagnose this further. For AMD, I'm not certain there is a nice user facing tool for getting detailed stats - there might be, I'm just not aware of it.

I would also suggest trying Overwatch without your media player running. In the top stacked graph, the purple area and light green area just below it are your media player and AVG, respectively (almost an entire core). Regaining that CPU time will allow Overwatch to do more work in CPU intensive parts of gameplay.

I hope that gives you some things to try! I'm happy to look at another trace if you resolve these issues and still have FPS stalls in Overwatch.

Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Hello babbrabush!

I am specifically referencing vprot.exe taking CPU time. IIRC that executable is installed with an AVG toolbar or web tune up application.

Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Hello drifs!

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide me your traces. I've uploaded a cross section of your PC when Overwatch is running, at this link. The top stacked graph is what your CPU is working on, the second line graph is another view of processes taking CPU resources, the third line graph is what your hard drive is doing, and the fourth graph is when your OS swaps memory to/from your hard drive.

It's difficult for me to say if Overwatch is having an issue or not - we have to solve your hard drive issue first. If your hard drive is constantly doing work when Overwatch is running, and worse yet, if you are swapping memory to your hard disk in addition to that, Overwatch (or any game for that matter) won't run smoothly.

In the top stacked graph, the green area is Overwatch. The mustard color area (as well as some others) is linked to Avast. Looking at your memory commit, it looks like over 20GB was in use at the time of the capture. I can't blame Avast for all of that, but having Avast do that much work while running Overwatch will make it difficult to have a positive experience playing. I don't use Avast, so I can't provide much insight here, but I'd certainly suggest taking a hard look at what is going on with regards to that software.

If you get your disk usage under control and Overwatch still has frame rate issues, I'd be happy to take a look at another trace.

Thanks!
    Bruce
  • 11/01/2016 03:50 PMPosted by babbrabush
    Would a trace when inside practice range be helpful to compare?

The practice range uses less CPU resources than a real Overwatch match. When troubleshooting performance issues, it is best to try things out in Quick Play or a Custom Game with AI bots.

Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Hello Darknyss!

We took a look at some logs, and you are getting a pretty high amount of package loss - sometimes up to 50%. That's something you can talk to your ISP about, or possibly check your own networking setup. We have some threads on the forum about network troubleshooting and resolution steps you might want to read.

Hope that helps!
    Bruce
  • Hello iRRiC!

You are getting a fair amount of RAM and CPU pressure from running VMware at the same time as Overwatch. So much RAM pressure in fact that you are getting hard faults (hard drive memory paging) during Overwatch game play.

You should try running Overwatch without VMware and see if that clears up your issue.

Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Hello HarHis!

I took a look at your first trace. Some suggestions to help you get more frame rate, along with an image to help point out some things.

a) Your disk 0 is in use at almost all times - that's the top chart in the image. That was really interesting to me, so I dug into that a bit more. Take a look at this image. This is just highlighting one file. All these disk events are then causing SearchIndexer and AVGuard to eat up CPU time, although I really don't think you have a CPU performance issue here. In the very bottom graph of the first image, you can see your cores going idle. I'd encourage you to investigate what's going on with your disk 0 usage.

b) It looks like you have 12GB of RAM, with ~9GB in use at the time of the capture. Overwatch is taking just over 2GB. This ends up causing some hard faults (memory paging), which you can see in the 3rd graph in my first image. If I had to guess, if you take care of the disk usage issue, you would reduce this memory pressure as well, but it is something to watch.

c) Finally, it looks like you are running GameScannerService - that comes with some Razer software. You might try disabling that particular service, as it can "wake up" during game play and cause some frame rate instability.

I hope that helps!
    Thanks,
    Bruce